Saturday, January 14, 2012

Winter: Love it or leave it

Winter crochet project 2012

Winter is upon us. Along with the snow and cold comes the grumbling of how crummy winters are up here.  I really don’t hate winter. I like winter activities like skiing and snowshoeing. I love the beauty of lake effect snow falling, but by the time we get to the February winds blasting off the lake, I get tired of it. In order to survive until spring I have found some ways to make the winter bearable and even enjoyable to some extent. For instance, I only knit during the winter. I do a lot of crafts throughout the year, but knitting is the only one I put away at the first thaw and don’t take out again until the first snowfall. I don’t knit anything fancy. I pretty much knit only scarves and hats. I have a ton of scarves and almost all of my friends and family members have a scarf or hat I have knitted. If you haven’t gotten one from me, be patient. Your turn will come once I find out what color your coat is. Speaking of coats, because it gets pretty cold around here it’s a good thing that I am a huge fan of big, comfy clothing. Outside of work I live in sweats or yoga pants, hoodies, and slippers. Many years ago my mom gave me an extremely large sweater that she had knit. It’s pretty impressive with a bunch of cables and bubble-like bumps. It is so big that it hangs halfway to my knees and I have to roll the sleeves up twice. I love it but I can only wear it when it’s really, really cold out. It is perfect for snuggling up on the couch with a book and a fire in the fireplace.  Some days I just can’t get warm though. I am what I refer to as a “cold person”. I am constantly cold. The guys in my family are not cold people so the temperature in our house is set a couple of degrees above meat-locker. So in the winter I take what I refer to as warm-up showers. These are great. Everyone in my family knows what a warm-up shower is. I can drain a 50 gallon hot water tank on a single warm-up shower and never even soap up. I leave the fan off which drives my husband crazy. I simply don’t get that steam-room experience with the fan on.  When the retirement years arrive we’ll probably head south, but if for some reason we end up staying here, rest assured, I’ll be warm and cozy in my big sweater, yoga pants, and slippers knitting someone a scarf.

Published February, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...