Wednesday, September 25, 2019

If You Give Me Liquid Foundation


“Do you use powder foundation or liquid?” my friend Robin asked as she took me on my first visit to Ulta Beauty on a recent trip to Lansing. I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Ulta, but it is a vast showroom of everything girly and make-uppy. “Powder, why?” “Well, my sister told me that because we are over 50 now, that we should wear liquid foundation because it doesn’t look so caky on our skin.” She showed me the Lancôme foundation she switched to and we proceeded to try and figure out what color I needed. That led to me sitting on a tall metal chair with a young woman applying makeup to my face. “I’m going to need something for these dark circles too,” I added. It was wonderful. I haven’t had someone put makeup on me, ever. And I have to admit, when she was finished I looked amazing. Nothing close to the clown-esque job I do with liquid foundation. The closest thing I have gotten to someone putting make up on me was sitting in front of a little plastic tray at someone’s Mary Kay home party. And that was just me, applying it myself while the Mary Kay consultant squirted little blobs of makeup in the tray. This was different. I wondered if this is what Hollywood actors felt like before a scene. The associate told me about blending and proper cleaning of brushes before she handed me my new little bottles of rather expensive make up and sent me on my way. I remembered that if I’m going to start wearing liquid make up again, that I probably should start washing my face at night, which I haven’t done since my last go-around with liquid make up. But then when I considered the now added step of nightly face-washing, I was also going to need night cream. Is it just me, or is my column starting to sound like “If you Give a Mouse a Cookie?”
            If you give a 51 year old woman liquid foundations, she’s going to need to wash her face. And if she washes her face, she’s definitely going to need some night cream to go with it.

But you should know me well enough to know that I ended up with the foundation, concealer, the little egg shaped spongy ball, face cleaning wipes, and night cream. OH and while I’m here, I’d better get some mascara too, right? It actually didn’t happen quite that quickly or seamlessly. Some of the items were bought at Ulta. Then I was introduced to the equally wonderful Sephora, where I got the night cream sample and mascara. Finally, I wound up at Walgreens for a full container of night cream and the spongy little egg shaped ball. And all of this happened because Robin’s sister said that women over 50 should wear liquid foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...