Friday, November 2, 2018

Doin' the Wave


I consider myself to be a friendly person. I try to say “Hello” or “Good morning” to people I see. I try to acknowledge everyone I know and wave at all of the wavers, but sometimes I miss someone and don’t return the greeting. People have said to me “I walked right past you and you didn’t even notice me!” I feel really bad when that happens because it’s totally unintentional. The same is true when it comes to waving at other drivers. I’m usually off in my own little world when I’m driving in my car and if someone waves and I catch it at the last second I do feel bad for not returning the greeting. 
When we got our first motorcycle, I learned that there was a tradition of waving to each other. At first the whole waving thing was kind of fun. I was just a passenger then and it felt kind of like being in a cool club. I sat on the back and could see everyone who waved, but quickly became surprised at the sheer number of wavers on the road. It can be a little daunting when you pass 10 bikers, car, car, 5 bikers, car, car, car, one biker (did I get everyone?). Tom tended to agree that it was getting a little out of hand, “But,” he said, “what if some guy is just out having a great time riding and he waves it me and I don’t wave back and then it just ruins his day? I don’t want to be the one to do that.” So I waved. But after a while it was only to the ones I actually saw wave first. And then when I got my own motorcycle, waving was not happening because I was terrified of letting go of the handlebars. After I got more comfortable I would wave back. But again, the waving was starting to get to be more of a responsibility than a friendly gesture. Did these people waving at me do it because they really wanted to say “Hello,” or because it was something they are supposed to do? Because it’s actually not a wave, it’s sticking your arm out low, next to your leg. I like to put my hand up and wave like a kid. “Hi! Have a nice day!” (big silly grin). I know, it’s not cool and bikerish, but you get my point. These days, I kind of wait it out to see if the oncoming biker is going to stick his arm out. Then I sort of assess the situation. Some people don’t even look at me when they wave. They just stare straight ahead. I wonder if they even care if I wave back or not.
Years ago we had a VW Bug and there was a whole waving community. We sold “the wave” when we sold the bug. And now we have the Jeep. As soon as we bought it Tom said, “You know Jeep drivers wave at each other.” Again? “Are you kidding me? Which ones? The CJ people? The 4 door people? New Jeeps? Old Jeeps? What about the whole Jeep SUV family of vehicles? Next I suppose you’re going to tell me there’s a Subaru wave!” So if you see me on the road on my motorcycle or in my Jeep and I don’t wave, I’m not being rude. I probably didn’t see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...