Friday, November 2, 2018

Biker or Bicyclist? That is the question.


      Ever since I had to give up running, I've been looking for a form of exercise that I can do, other than just walking. I bought a rowing machine this last winter that has sat unused in the basement. I had every intention of rowing, until my son took the TV with him to college. I mean, I can't be expected to row without an episode of “Fixer Upper” to distract me, can I? Tom has been bicycling now for about 2 years and absolutely loves it. Recently, he was asking me if I'd like to take up the sport with him. Up until about a year ago I owned a bike. I don't really remember, other than my college years, a time in my life when I didn't have a bike. Banana seat, ten speed with the loop handlebars, 20 speed mountain bike, those were my go-to rides. I grew up on a bicycle and it was my main mode of transportation until I got my drivers licence. Some of my best scars come from bike riding. My most memorable wipe-out was an unfortunate incident involving a skateboard balanced on the handlebars, and a gravel road.
       These days I'm not as interested in riding no-handed from my best friends driveway to my own, but to get in a good workout. When Tom took me for a ride with me on his other bike, he took me on his normal route, which is about 14 miles total and I'm not gonna lie, it just about killed me. But I still knew that I had found what I was looking for. So Tom went on the hunt for a “new” bike for me and two days later I was on the bike trail on my very own bike. And I don't think I have to tell you the most exciting part, all of the accessories I'm going to be able to get! On my first ride I was thinking to myself about all of the things I would need:
  • A bell
  • A rear view mirror
  • A super-cool helmet
  • Biking shorts with the spongy butt-padding
  • Fingerless gloves
  • A helmet
  • And shoes (duh!)
Many of the items on this list are a lot like the things I need and use for motorcycling. So I come to one problem. Am I a biker who bikes? A motorcycle rider who bicycles? Regardless, I don't have to be a runner to get a good workout. I just had to return to my biking roots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...