Friday, April 27, 2018

Packed with Anxiety


I hate to admit it, but I suffer from travel anxiety, or more accurately, packing-for-travel anxiety. As you may already know, Tom and I are not world travelers by any stretch of the imagination. If you have been a loyal follower of my writing, you will remember that my very first column was about learning to love boredom because we did not take a spring break vacation that year. And if you have been a reader for the past 5 years, you will remember that more of my columns have been about not going on a spring break than those that have. In fact, I think I have written exactly two columns about spring break travel, one being when my son Robby was a senior in high school (2012), and the other when my son Sam was a senior (2015). I truly love to travel. The excitement of discovering new places is something I love to do. However, we just don’t seem to travel much for whatever reason. We take our motorcycles on weekend trips to the U.P. in the summer, or we head out East to see family, but as for real vacations, they really don’t happen much. So when I actually do get the opportunity to set out somewhere for an extended period of time, the packing is the worst. I am a chronic over-packer. In the old days, this would not have been a problem. When we could check as many oversized suitcases as we could wrestle into the airport, the painstaking task of trying to figure out what to take and what not to take was a nonissue. Now with the 50 pound limit, pay-to-check luggage, and an assortment of other airport restrictions, someone like me could possibly have a pre-trip packing meltdown. Packing for me looks something like this:
·      Take out all of the clothes I could possibly need including clothes for casual, clothes for dressy, sleepwear, swimwear, shoes, socks, and unmentionables and stack them in piles on the bed. This amounts to roughly 4 piles
·      Narrow that down to 3 stacks and then start to put it all in the suitcase.
·      Take more stuff out of the suitcase because I’m sure that I’ve already bypassed the 50 pound limit before I have even put in my toiletries and hairdryer
It goes on and on like this until I have to walk away. I literally started packing for this trip 4 days in advance and each day I took things out of the suitcase and put more things back in. I weighed the bag. It was about 30 pounds. Happily, I skipped downstairs. “I’m packed! Now we just need to run to Marshalls and get a carry-on. Oh and see if you can find that black dufflebag.” “Why?” he asked. “Oh, because you’re going to need something to put your stuff in.” For me, traveling doesn’t have to be cause for anxiety. Just careful planning and an undisclosed baggage fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...