Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Finding Happiness in the Little Things...Like New Toothbrushes


For the most part I lead a pretty good life. Even so I can let stress and negativity get the better of me,
especially during the holidays. When that happens there are little things that can really make me feel happy. When I am having a bad day my go to is Pepsi and a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll. Pepsi just tastes good and who can't help but smile back at Little Debbie? I also like to get mail. Not email. Old fashioned snail mail. I look forward to opening the mailbox everyday in hopes that there might be something special, like a hand written note from my mom or Aunt Marge, which makes Christmas card season my favorite time of year. Recently I posted on Facebook that I was getting a new toothbrush, which means I got to go to the dentist. Yes, I said I got to go. For as long as I can remember I have gotten my teeth cleaned every 6 months. Some of my earliest memories are of leaving the dentist office with a brand new toothbrush. Back then, my new brush came in a clear plastic tube with two halves of a brightly colored plastic dog capping each end. When the toothbrush was removed the two ends could be put together to create an adorable little red, yellow, blue, or green dog. I treasured those silly things and kept them like they were precious. I know some people don't like going to the dentist, but I really enjoy sitting back and relaxing while I get my teeth cleaned. Oh I've had some unpleasant experiences like fillings, but they never seem bad enough to take away the feeling I get when I anticipate my next visit and my next new toothbrush. I think in life we have become so materialistic we tend to equate happiness with the big stuff like new cars or Vera Bradley bags. I have been reading a book called "Growing Up on Drummond Island" by a friend, Jill Lowe Brumwell. The stories are so sweet. Jill spent much of her childhood on Drummond Island in the UP and although her family didn't have much, you can feel the happiness on every page. It's so easy to get caught up in the stresses of life that I forget to notice those little things that bring joy to my life like a hug from one of my boys or a pop and a snack cake from the gas station. I got some less than great news from my dentist the last time I went but none of it seemed to matter as I left with my little plastic bag containing my new toothbrush. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...