Thursday, April 30, 2020

Life at a Social Distance

In the midst of this global pandemic, I found myself sitting in my living room, looking ahead to the next three and a half (or more) weeks, wondering, “What I am going to do with myself?” (other than wash my hands compulsively). When the covid19 virus hysteria initially began I did not for the life of me, believe that I would be sitting here “socially distancing” myself from the rest of the community. I tried to put it into perspective, knowing that this isn’t just a mini-summer break. I still need to be working from home and doing my best to interact with school families. Even doing that, I still have significantly more time on my hands. Before the Stay-at-Home order, I had been out and about, minimally speaking. I went to Walmart, Family Fare, and Grain Train. But those errands have quickly run their courses, so I have had to get more creative with my non-working hours.

You might already know that I am a list-maker. So of course I have compiled a list of things that I need to do and things I can do in order to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. I kind of think of it as a practice run for retirement. I know that when we retire, we won’t be semi-quarantined, but you never know what kind of germophobe I might turn into after this. If you find yourself being told to stay home from work and are running out of ideas, here are a few of the things I plan on doing to ward off cabin fever.

·      Put together the chicken puzzle I got for my birthday a few years ago
·      Have a Bananagrams tournament against myself
·      Finish crocheting the duster-vest I started a year ago.
·      Read the 4 borrowed books that I have been saving and the 3 books I bought
·      Watch some classic movies that I have never seen, like Gone with the Wind
·      Make more soap with the supplies I bought last summer

There are some things that I have resolved to avoid as well. I have decided to watch as little network Corona-reporting as possible. I understand the situation. I am being cautious and heeding warnings. I am not, however bulk-buying toilet paper, peanut butter, or Clorox wipes.  The virus is spreading. That’s a given. So why not dust off the pile of books I’ve been saving, finish some of those unfinished crafts, and understand that this time to just hunker down and relax is a gift. I feel like I should end by saying that I am so very grateful for those who are continuing to work in hospitals, grocery stores, gas stations, etc… Their selflessness has not gone unnoticed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...