Wednesday, February 1, 2017

I Might Finally be Running out of Ideas


The Christmas season has always been a busy time, and this year is no different. Since my birthday falls within this time I always have a little bit of extra reflecting to do. One thing that has been on my mind this year is this column. I began writing it in early 2010. When I took the position of monthly columnist for the PNR I was asked to name my column. I immediately thought of “The Flip Side” because it’s an old term that we said in the 80’s: “Catch ya on the flip side!” and for those who don’t understand why we said that, it refers to records, namely 45’s (single song records) that always had a less known, less popular song on the back, or flip side. Because I was just entering middle age I thought this was appropriate because I was entering the “flip side” of my life (I didn’t want any “over the hill” references of course).  This year marked my 49th birthday and as I barrel head-long into my 50th year, I began wondering if I need to change the “Life After 40” part of the title. I’m still over 40 but it seems as though the column is changing now that I’m entering “life after 50.” My life in my 40’s was full of topics I could write about with ease such as my teenage kids and stories about the endless laundry and the daily gallons of milk they consumed. But as my kids get older and the grandkids haven’t begun arriving, I find myself working harder and harder to come up with ideas for my column. Almost monthly I think to myself “I think this is it. One more and I’m done. My life is too boring to write about now that I’m pushing 50,” and then I run into a total stranger who smiles and says “Do you write for the paper? I love your column!” You have no idea how much those little comments motivate and encourage me. Even after the dog stroller debacle, I had supporters coming out of the woodwork, encouraging me to keep writing. I often wonder how much longer I can keep coming up with new material, but each month I manage because of the kind words (and chapstick!) from my readers. Even the columns that I think are the absolute worst are the ones in which I have people coming up to me saying “I loved your column about…It was hilarious!” As we enter the New Year, I hope I can continue to come up with pieces that entertain, connect to your life somehow, or warm your heart. So as long as you keep reading, I’ll keep writing. Happy New Year and I’ll catch you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...