Monday, February 1, 2016

The Joys of Puppy Parenthood

When we embarked on the adventure of adopting a new puppy, never in my wildest dreams did I remember how much work an active puppy is. Some of the things I had forgotten were:
·      House-breaking and those “accidents” that are completely intentional because Puppy simply doesn’t want to go outside right now.
·      When the puppy discovers how much fun it is to run away while holding something she isn’t supposed to be holding.
·      Ignoring the commands you know she knows.
·      Chewing on anything BUT her large box of toys (including emptying out the box and then chewing on it)
·      Standing out in the rain and blizzards waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for her to do her “business”
·      Wanting to hold her on the couch because she is sooooo stinkin’ cute, but knowing that we won’t want her on the couch when she is a full-grown dog with muddy, wet paws.
·      How much FUN a roll of toilet paper can be!
I have been exhausted ever since we got Betsy. From the first week of sleepless nights and her constant need for supervision. This experience has thrust me right back into being the parent of a young toddler. If it’s quiet…there’s trouble. My friend came over and said “I’ve never seen your living room so clean!” We literally can’t keep anything below waist-high because if she can reach it, she will destroy it. Bitter Apple Spray has become my new best friend. Chewing on wires behind the couch? One quick spritz stops that in a hurry I quickly found out.

In spite of all of the frustrations that go along with that first year of puppy-hood, the rapid growth and learning that takes place is really fun to be a part of. She seems to learn something new everyday and each morning she literally looks bigger. She is so happy all the time. The thing I missed most when we lost Molly, was that pure joy when we got home, whether we walked to the mailbox and back or were gone for spring break. I love my cats, but when I come home they barely lift their heads. In my attempt to be the best dog mom ever, I have exchanged “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” for “The Border Collie’s Owner’s Guide,”  “Training Your Working Dog to go from Obsessive to Companion,” “Border Collies,” and hours of YouTube videos on How to Train Your Dog. I’ve left behind Piaget’s Stages of Child Development for Zac George’s Training Revolution. I know, like with kids, this is a stage that will pass and once again I’ll forget what it was like to have a puppy so I’ll do what I can to treasure every frustrating, irritating, funny, and adorable memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Confession

I have a confession to make. Last month I wrote about decorating for Christmas and said that I “had” decorated after Thanksgiving. The way t...